The spotlight is once again on the WeDigital employees as they battle to understand the lingo of each generation. In this video, there was a set of words given to a pair of Boomers, Gen Z people, and Millenials. Now the question is, will they understand certain words that are far beyond their generational scope?
The goal of this video is to know whether it’s conducive for language to evolve over time. Although these things cannot be helped (as it happens naturally) some people from different generations might be at a disadvantage. Let’s see the results at the end of the article!
Evolution of language through the years…
If gadgets are ever-evolving, then so does language. Let’s start from the very beginning. Considering that we’ve been colonized by the Spaniards, Americans, and the Japanese, the Filipino language is quite mixed making us multi-lingual. It started with people speaking pure Filipino with deep, proper, respectful, and romantic words. But in time, it became quite simplified.
Now, people tend to mix words with English and Tagalog making new words out of them. These are called generational slang and lingo. The evolution of Here’s a list of baby boomer lingo and what they mean. See if you can understand some of them…
List of baby boomer lingos:
- Gas – loading up your car with petroleum
- Wig chop – getting a haircut
- Threads – clothes
- Flip your wig – to be very angry
- Groovy – cool
- Dropped a dime – made a phone call
- Moo juice – milk
- Ermats/ Erpats – Mother/Father
- Tibak – hardcore activists
- Repapips – Pare
- Tsikot – Kotse
- Consuelo de bobo – mock consolation for those who suffered loss, rejection or other hardships
- Japorms – stylish
Likewise, if we have a number of baby boomer lingos in the roster, we also have Gen Z slangs as well. Here are the most popular Gen Z slangs that we love!
List of Gen Z slangs:
- Hits different – something that inspires or impacts you on a whole new level
- Main character – someone subject to viral outrage on social media
- Snatched – on point
- Understood the assignment – someone who does something exceptionally good
- Lowkey, high key – lowkey (restrained, moderate), highkey (excited)
- Vibing – relaxing, tapping into good feelings
- Skrrt – when your friend is sharing some tea and you want to save the exciting part
- Bet – a form of affirmation, approval, or agreement
- Slaps – something is amazing or excellent
- OK boomer – a reply to boomers or older generation’s condescending posts online
- Stan – Stalker fan of someone
- Vibe Check – checking the general ambiance of the situation
- Simp – someone trying hard to do something
Let’s not forget the Millenials! Here are the latest millennial slangs…
List of popular millennial slang:
- Lit – amazing, high energy
- Sorry not sorry – not showing remorse about something you did
- Humble brag – when you wanted to show how incredible your life is but you don’t want to appear proud
- FOMO – Fear of Missing Out, or fear of not being included in something
- Cancel – a less abrasive form of saying no / not showing support to someone whom you’ve discovered to have done something offensive or a vile act
- Sus – something is suspicious
- Clap back – when someone
- On fleek – something is on point
- Basic – when something is not a standout nor a nobody, it is just in the middle
- Trolls – people who do nasty online
- Triggered – anything anyone experienced that made them immediately angry
- Woke – awareness of a person specifically about social injustices
The verdict of the game…
You may think that some lingos are quite easy and common, however, our little game says otherwise. Sad to say, not all WeDigital employees guessed all the lingo lineup correctly. This only proves that there is an underlying communication barrier among different generations.
Make WeDigital your go-to digital marketing agency!
We have all the tools and strategies for your business to reach new heights. WeDigital is a modern digital marketing agency that can cater to your website, social media, hosting, and SEO needs. Want to know more? Head over to our website to know more about digital marketing. If you’re interested to do business with us, just give us a ring! We’re very interested to know your thoughts.
We hoped we helped design your Instagram grid as easy as one, two, or three! These are the four of the most awesome Instagram grid designs that can be useful in building your businesses or brands online. Anyways, see you on our next blog!