What is SEO?
Search engines have the function of giving viewers the best answers to their questions/searches. That’s where SEO marketing comes in! You use it to help your site rank better on search engines. You are essentially aiming to be the most relevant and trustworthy site in relation to the viewer’s search.
Think of all those times you searched for something online. On the first page of search results, you probably found exactly what you’re looking for. This is because Google takes the phrase or keywords you searched and matches them to the most relevant sites. For example, you search “iPhone review.” You aren’t going to get any reviews for Samsung or any other thing for that matter. You asked a question and Google is simply answering you the best way they can.
Meanwhile, keyword footprints can strengthen your main keywords. When Google scans sites for relevance, keyword footprints bump you up higher in ranking because they align with the theme of your main keywords.
For example: In honor of Steve Jobs, for this Sunday’s review of the iPhone X, we will be looking into the Apple hardware, the user experience, and how it fares better or worse than other iPhone models. For all my tech-savvy readers out there, prepare to get amazed for this new unit arriving in Apple stores on the 5th of December! We will also be reviewing any development in Apple’s new software at the end of this blog.
Consider how many other sites link to your site. That matters to search engines! For other sites to refer to yours, means that you are reliable and thus trustworthy. The more sites that have a link to yours, the more authority you have in the eyes of search engines. We call this “backlinking”.
How to apply SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- You essentially have to create content that is important to your reader and shareable as well. This way you’re not only building relevance, but increasing your likelihood for backlinks.
- Know what your readers want and their demographic. Are they male or female? How old are they? Maybe you’re after a very specific niche like single mothers who are providing for children. The more specific the better. You may not be catering to everyone, but you are providing a reliable site for a specific set of people that will keep returning to it. Study what your niche wants and insert those keywords into the content you write!
Tip: You might want to make a list of all the keywords your site should use. This will save you time and mental energy along the way
- Observe your competitors. What words do they use and how do they optimize? Learn from what they do and make it better!
- Create internal links. This helps Google associate your other content to one that a reader has searched. This also helps the reader stay on your site longer because you are most likely writing content about a specific topic and so if your viewer is interested in iPhone reviews, they would most probably be interested in Apple airpods reviews.
For example: “As we know, the iPhone X isn’t the only new product Apple has released this year. Have a look into the features of the new Apple Airpods!”
- Ensure readability. Make sure your content is easily understandable and that you are using the proper HTML tags like H1, H2, H3, etc. This helps Google better understand what your content is about and consider its relevance.
These are the 5 Tips for beginners to get you started on using proper SEO marketing so that you can rank higher on those search engines!
Are feeling hesitant to put your business on a digital platform? Check out The Pros of Putting your Business Online!