Have you been having a hard time ranking your website on Google?
Here in the Philippines, SEO – Search Engine Optimization, started rather late. In the early 2000s people were not familiar with SEO and did not know how to make their websites more searchable online. Today, many Filipinos are learning online to make websites more searchable. So you’re here and you want to learn more on how to rank your website higher on Google’s Search Engine Results Pages (also known as “SERPs” or “SERP”).
Rank your website higher on Google SERPs with these steps and tips!
1. Identify your keywords
- It’s best to work on what keywords you want to rank on. There are devices such as ahref’s keyword generator tool that can help you choose from related options.
There is a thing called long and short-tail keywords.
- Short-tail keyword – Baking
- Long-tail keyword – Baking tools and equipment
The short tail keywords are no more than 3 words that refer to broad topics. You can have higher search traffic but less quality traffic since it is a very broad topic.
Long-tail keywords are usually longer with more specific search words or phrases. This creates the opposite effect with the short keywords, as you would be getting higher conversion but less search traffic because the people are specifically searching for those keywords.
You can see it as suggested searches.
or at the bottom of the SERPs as related searches.
2. Make an impact with your content
- What makes people share a blog, post, video, tweet, or image? Of course, an impactful content that relates touches, or answers what they are searching for. Focus on your target audience’s needs and interests, which will help you rank better on Google SERPs.
3. Add external links
- Having external links are more influential than internal links so don’t forget to include it. Google sees external links as a third-party vote to your website. The more credible the external link is the higher the ranking power.
4. Keep it long and in-depth
- Studies from Brian Dean’s research with BuzzSumo show that long-form content gets more links than short articles.
Nowadays, most people backlinks to longer articles that fully understand a topic that they are searching for. Articles that can back their statements with research and studies are more likely to be sought after.
5. Optimize your website’s content
Make it automatic to add your keywords in your:
- Title Tag: This is an HTML element that is displayed on search engine results pages as the headline.
- At the beginning of your page: The first hundred words of your page should include your keywords.
- Image alt text: Its purpose to describe the images to visitors who cannot see the image.
- In an H1 tag: This is the first header tag on the page. Usually, the title of the page uses an H1 tag.
- H2 or H3 tag: H2 and H3 are the following header sizes that come after H1.
- At the end of your page: The last hundred words of your page should include your keywords.
This helps Google crawl your website better to be able to show up on SERPs.
6. Build credible backlinks
- Most websites with backlinks rank high on Google search engine results pages. Check the credibility of a link before approving it first.
You can also build backlinks by creating relationships with other authors for them to either link to you or approve your link. A simple insight into their blogs and articles through their comment section can let them know that you are a real person and not a bot. Build that relationship with them and get a credible backlink to your website.
7. Structure your content for visitors
- Make your readers stay by structuring your content to what they’re looking for. It is best to go straight to the point of your article to avoid bounce rates from your website. Show informative content right away like, ranking, action lists, steps, checklist, tips, and so on.
8. Have a good design
- First impressions are 94% design-related. Aside from a good design to keep visitors on the site, images on the website would be better if they were created and not overused like some stock images. Take advantage of using the alt text image so when people see the image on google images they are linked to your site.
If you follow these tips and steps to improve your SEO you can see changes in your ranking. Take note that it could take 6 months to a year to increase in ranking. However, if your article has epic content, then it can even take less than a week to rank higher.
The point is to keep on learning and improving your website. Google keeps on changing with its way of crawling content and ranking it on its SERPs. It’s best to be updated with the news and apply new strategies to your SEO.
If you’re still unsettled about putting your business online, here’s what to read to settle your thoughts!